Five minutes with Fleur Video series — Video #4
How do you make sure you collaborate and manage your brand effectively while working remotely? In a series of videos, Fleur Elise Muller — Account Executive at Lytho, shares some tips, tools and tricks so you and your team can be more efficient and stay on brand while working remotely. This video is all about the difference between using a DAM or a DMS.
Everyone is forced to work from home right now, which is a new situation to many if not all of us. Fleur Elise Muller is an Account Executive at Lytho, helping our customers in getting the most value from a Digital Asset Management Solution. This means she speaks with and advises a lot of marketing teams around the globe about how to collaborate and manage their brand (Assets) remotely. Many of these teams have the challenge of staying consistent in creating their digital content.
To provide you with some insighs, tools and tricks so you can be more efficient during these times, Fleur created a series of short videos where she highlights certain subjects and offers some expert tips, tools and tricks, all relevant to collaborating remotely as a marketing team.
- In Video #1 Fleur shared some tips about managing your brand while collaborating remotely. Watch that video here.
- In Video #2 Fleur shared five tips for creating consistent Digital Content and managing your Brand Identity. Watch that video here.
- In Video #3 we discussed the six ways in which a DAM system can help you share files externally. Watch video #3 here.
Video #4: The benefits of a DAM vs a DMS for Brand Management
This video is about the differences between a DAM (Digital Asset Management) solution and a DMS (Document Management System) solution. In the video, Fleur highlights the main goal for both types of systems and the things that make them unique.
Both systems are meant to increase productivity, where less time will be spent on finding the specific file that you need. Both systems enhance the storage of digital files and the organization around them, all in the cloud. Both have functionalities to share those files with other people, to increase efficiency. However, they fulfill different purposes.
Watch the video below:
The added value of a DMS
The word DMS is the abbreviation for a Document Management System, which already implies that it’s a solution to manage your documents.
As an individual, you can also use Google Drive and Dropbox to store your files, both DMS systems. You can easily save adjusted or new documents directly into the cloud and can access them any time on any device. Yet in business, a DMS comes in handy for other functionalities as well.
A DMS solution is especially valuable for:
- Documents such as forms, contracts, reports, and letters.
- Managing the entire document lifecycle, from its creation onwards, where live editing in the system is possible.
- Providing audit trails, showing who accessed a document and which changes were made.
- Check-in, check-out, and locking, where the changes of a user won’t overwrite the changes of the previous user.
- Controlling and managing different versions and making sure there’s one single source of truth.
- Activating a prior version of a document.
- Sharing documents, where it is easy to circulate large files.
- Tags, author name, document name and the description of a publication.
All these features are very useful, especially when you use a lot of documents in your organization or team. Although, from a marketing perspective, a smoother and more visually appealing and visually oriented approach could be wanted.
The added value of a DAM
Would you like to find a photo of a product taken at a specific side angle? Or would you like to use a campaign picture from two years ago and want to be sure that you are allowed to use it? Did the person in the picture agree to use this picture for future purposes? Or would you like to use a picture with the brand logo on it, which is still up to date?
A DAM solution is a Digital Asset Management solution, which makes sure that you can find, organize and share digital brand assets (marketing materials and documents) easily and quickly. You can find any specific asset in multiple ways, where only the most recent version will be shown to you.
The more robust possibilities for brand management of a DAM in comparison to a DMS are:
- Search (visual) assets based on a tag structure instead of a folder structure.
- Add metadata to assets automatically. Think about author name, approval status, image size, license rights, resolution, and color depth.
- Use a filter search that is especially devoted to pictures and videos, such as; color, categories, extensions, and resolution.
- Use the technology of Artificial Intelligence to find duplicates or similar images.
- Add permissions and create specific user-profiles and roles, so the assets for a specific group will only be shown to that group.
- Be able to track, approve and preserve assets in the system, in a workflow.
- The possibility to connect a DAM with other digital solutions within your company (CRM, PIM, etc).
- Enrich with extra functionalities, such as Create & Publish, to create marketing materials within the platform in a consistent and on-brand approach.
DMS or DAM — what’s the better fit for your needs?
In conclusion, if your company or team uses a lot of documents, proposals, forms, etc. a DMS will fit your needs. When marketing materials, such as pictures, videos, etc. become important, a DAM would be a better fit. A DAM is especially valuable in an organization with a lot of unstructured data, where tags and metadata will come in handy.
So, there you go — these were the insights that we wanted to share with you in this video. These are all related to a Digital Asset Management solution, which can help make sure that you are in control as a Marketing Manager or Brand Manager. As you have seen, a DAM solution helps you manage all your marketing content in an efficient and effective way.
This has been the fourth installment of “Five Minutes with Fleur”. The next video will focus on working with templates to protect your brand guidelines. Keep following Lytho on social media or be sure to check in with our blog next week.
Need more info?
At Lytho, we’re all about delivering brand consistency. We’d be happy to get in touch with you to chat more about best practices for managing your visual brand assets in order to get more work done with less effort, all the while strengthening your brand and staying consistent.
Finding and effectively using the right Digital Asset Management Platform for your organization can be of great help in that respect — it can save you a lot of time and money, especially if you’re working as a marketer for a larger organization. Would you like to understand more about the value of a DAM system?
- Download the whitepaper “Improve your marketing performance with DAM” to understand the added value of a Digital Asset Management tool, or:
- Get in touch with us if you have any specific questions about Brand Management and/or selecting the right DAM solution for your needs. We’d love to help!
Originally published at https://insights.lytho.com.